I was watching The Day After Tomorrow last night and Dennis Quaid’s character made a grammatical error (yes, I can be a freakin’ grammar geek sometimes. I try not to be too anal about it). He asked the question, “How much further do we have to go?” What his character should have asked is “How much farther do we have to go?”
Farther = actual distance. When father is used it means actual physical distance.
Further = definition of degree/depth, or metaphorical distance. It is a time, degree, or quantity.
Remember it this way …
Farther has the word “far” in it relating to distance, actual distance that is.
Further has the word “fur” in it as in “thick fur” or depth/degree.
I know it sounds a bit silly but it works.
- Our car drove farther than I thought it would on one tank of gas.
- I wanted to run farther, but I became too exhausted.
- Our house is farther away from the restaurant than yours.
Examples of further:
- I asked that there be further discussion on the matter.
- I need to look further into the logistics of moving farther from my office building.
- I hope that gas prices drop further for our road trip vacation.
- taletreader likes this
- literarybinge reblogged this from wordpainting
- dailydoseofrachel reblogged this from wordpainting
- thesearethethoughts likes this
- idrinkechoes likes this
- awritersruminations likes this
- somethingbysomeone likes this
- aphrontistery likes this
- bhabhaismyhomi likes this
- goodbyeolepaint likes this
- eclectick likes this
- teacup likes this
- jazzespiritu likes this
- ferpin-gerp likes this
- naancymaac likes this
- buckeyeballerina likes this
- toynbeeconvector likes this
- crushingthebutterflies likes this
- carpentrix likes this
- occasionaltimetravellers likes this
- emma-lou reblogged this from wordpainting
- mandapantsss likes this
- jacquiestoy likes this
- tamsinelspeth likes this
- moreofamore likes this
- andrewstuntpilot likes this
- spycnsweet likes this
- buttcakekitten likes this
- madamescherzo reblogged this from wordpainting
- madamescherzo likes this
- polygamuse likes this
- crimble-crumble reblogged this from wordpainting
- crimble-crumble likes this
- wordpainting posted this